In the late 1990’s, the business simulation or “tycoon” game type flourished. These games were a chance to play entrepreneur, running every kid’s dream, which usually was an amusement park or zoo. RollerCoaster Tycoon has been around since 1999 arriving on PC then Xbox. The point of the game is deceptively simple: Build a successful amusement park, including attractions, concessions and conveniences, such as bathrooms, kiosk and more. Players must also consider the varying personalities of customers and choose a wide variety of rides that can attract a variety of guests, and carefully plan the theme park for maximum happiness. the original release of the game was very successful, with it ranking as the third bestselling PC game in 1999 in August, and several expansion packs followed.
A new iteration of the game entitled RollerCoaster Tycoon World is coming, and will soon be available in Early Access on Steam March 30, 2016.
What can you find in RCTW? Aside from the promised best 3D ride editor ever and advanced physics calculations, Atari has shared the following details about the upcoming release of RollerCoaster Tycoon World.
- An innovative coaster builder, combining freeform and piece-by-piece options for ultimate control
- Freeform object placement, allowing you to put every in-game object exactly where you want it
- Curved paths in a variety of widths and styles, bringing your park previously unheard of flexibility in layout
- A fully integrated Steam UGC system, giving you the freedom to create any object you want and import it DIRECTLY into the game
- A fully deformable terrain and water effects to change your park’s landscape quickly and easily
- Steam workshop support, to share content and utilize the creative power of the community
- Steam social integration and park sharing to stay connected with your fellow Tycoons from around the world
- Campaign mode
- An initial set of Scenarios (the original game came equipped with 22)
- The Sandbox mode
- 10 different types of coasters (all complete with ride cams)
- Over 30 different flat rides
- Tons of scenery Items to populate your parks
- 4 different themes (sci-fi, adventure, generic, and western)
- Multiple maps
- Park management tools including heat maps, tips and more
Like any popular game franchise, RollerCoaster Tycoon World will include the popular free updates, with Atari sharing this early list:
- Piece-by-Piece Custom Built Structures
- A Scenario Editor
- Mini-rides and Dark Rides
- Additional scenarios
- Transport Rides
- Fence Builder
- New and expanded decoration themes
- Additional Flat-rides
- Custom music
- New Rollercoaster types
Social aspects have also been integrated into the game as well, with the ability to visit a friend’s park with the click of the mouse, or view Steam friends’ stats and comparisons. It’s a new way to play an old favorite.
It’s been a long time coming for the game’s release. RollerCoaster Tycoon World was first announced in 2014, and was originally slated to be released in 2015, but feedback from beta games led Atari to delay the release and refine the game. Atari will offer refunds for anyone who wants them until March 31, 2016 for copies pre-ordered through Atari.com or RollerCoasterTycoon.com. RollerCoaster Tycoon World will be available for Windows PC, Linux and Mac OS. A regular and deluxe version is available.
Head over to the game’s Steam page for more information and to purchase.