Guilty pleasure game Plants vs. Zombies will soon have a new installment, and game journalists and beta players are getting a look at what we can expect for the upcoming title, Garden Warfare 2.
The beta was announced last month, and now more news has been made available for the upcoming Plants vs. Zombies game. One big update is the new 24-player mode, making gameplay more challenging, competitive and fun than ever. You’ll also still be able to play in 4-player co-op or solo play.
Here’s what you can expect, straight from the EA Games announcement:
- The King of the Hill-inspired mode, Flag of Power – Raise the Flag of Power and do everything you can to prevent the enemy from lowering it; igniting an all-out war where you’ll have to fight off wave after wave of enemies in a frantic, escalating battle.
- Stats Room – Display all of your characters’ stats and achievements. There’s also a sticker book where you can get an overview of all the characters and accessories you’ve unlocked.
- Quest Board – Visit the Quest Board for a list of dynamically updated challenges that will reward you for every completed event, and increase your XP multiplier.
Maps and Modes
Two new maps are also available in the beta, and will also be in the final release. The maps are below and will be a 24-player mode. Reports say that all 12 maps will be available upon launch.
- Herbal Assault – On the Moon Base Z map. Play as the plants on the attack in this all-new 24 player game mode.
- Gardens & Graveyards – On the Seeds of Time map. Go classic with a zombie attack and plant defense, where the plants must defend the gardens and prevent the zombies from capturing them all.
There are several new modes coming as well. They are Team Vanquish, Vanquish Confirmed, Gnome Bomb, and Suburbination, while the maps are Z-Tech Factory and Frosty Creek.
EA Games has preserved the characters from the first Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare title, and also added a few new names, sharing the following details about the new faces in the game.
- Kernel Corn – Leading the plant offensive as the primary assault class with dual cob busters and a high rate of fire.
- Rose – An extremely powerful sorceress that can turn zombie foes into fully playable goats.
- Citron – A time-travelling bounty hunter from the future – and also an orange.
- Imp & Z-Mech – The smallest and most agile of the zombies that turns into a Z-Mech robo of mass destruction with missiles.
- Super Brainz – The flashy, punchy-powerhouse superhero with exceptional hair and charismatic smile.
- Captain Deadbeard – A crusty peg-legged captain with a trick weapon up his sleeve.
The full game of Plants vs. Zombies: Warfare 2 launches February 23, 2016, and currently up for pre-order for PS4, PC and Xbox One.
Dying to play it now? Origin Access and EA Access members can play by downloading the the full game on February 18. The trial is good for 10 hours worth of gameplay, with the 10 hour limit clocking hours only when the game is open.